- The EmpowerED Network’s purpose is to invest in the next generation of student leaders and advocates by equipping them with the necessary tools to connect their personal experiences to issue based advocacy for educational equity and justice.
Students who join the network will gain:
- A network of student leaders and advocates committed to educational equity and justice
- Access to digital advocacy tool kits
- Support and guidance to connect with legislators, policymakers, and community and school leaders
- Skills and increased capacity to lead on the most pressing educational equity issues
Through the EmpowerED Network students will:
- Have the opportunity to build community with their peers across the state
- Elevate the education and social justice issues they care about the most via monthly newsletters, monthly meetings, and other communications
- Attend monthly meetings focused on specific topic(s), speaker(s), and training sessions
- Have access and exposure to special guest speakers, experts, and events
- Have additional opportunities to build community ouatside of monthly meetings
- The movement to elevate student voice and collective action relies on students taking charge and leading the way! The saying “nothing for us, without us” applies here. The EmpowerED Network will be spearheaded by a small group of students across the state that are willing and ready to take on the responsibility and guide this network of student leaders and advocates.
League Leader Expectations:
- 10-12 hrs. per month
- Must have late afternoon/early evening weekday availability (occasional Saturdays with advance notice)
- Must be a current TN student
- Must attend a 4 hr opening retreat focused on building community amongst the group, reviewing material/content, and receive feedback/reactions on initial plans for network
- Must attend monthly planning meetings
- 1st week of the month planning meeting
- 2nd week of the month planning meeting
- 3rd week of the month- TN Student Voice Network meeting
- 4th week of the month- Social hang out/event (organized and led by League Leader students)
What will the League Leaders do?
- The League Leaders will have an active role in planning and facilitating monthly meetings
- Alternating meeting roles:
- Lead the icebreaker
- Develop the agenda/time keeping
- Introduce topics and/or guest speaker(s)
- Lead the closing/reflection at the end of each meeting
- Support and develop meeting plans, identify guest speakers, and topics
- Responsible for co-hosting monthly socials/self-care events
- Active role in providing input with monthly newsletter
- Additionally, League Leaders will have access to mentorship opportunities with ET-TN staff and greater network, attend two 1:1 check-ins with staff per semester, and design a leadership plan and receive goal development support
Who should apply?
- Must be a rising 10th grader in high school (10th grader fall 2021) up to a student in their final year of university studies
- Must have the availability of 10-12 hours per month and remain committed to the launch and success of the EmpowerED Network
- Must be passionate about tackling education and social justice issues
- Must be flexible as this is the inaugural year of the EmpowerED Network
- Must be willing to lead and take collective action alongside other Tennessee students!